Approved for 2.5 SHRM Professional Development Credits! Philly SHRM is recognized by SHRM to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
This program has been approved for 2.5 HR (General) credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the HR Certification Institute. Please be sure to note the program ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org.
Philadelphia SHRM Professional Development Event
This in-person day event, “2015 Retrospective and Recent Developments in HR Law: State and Local”, will be an interactive session with a panel of locally renowned attorneys. Amongst the topics to be addressed, the hot topics include:
- Philadelphia Paid Sick Leave Act – the Act took effect this year, and anecdotal reports are that enforcement has not been pursued yet, a look at whether you are compliant, what you need to do to be compliant, and what can happen if you aren’t
- Philadelphia posting requirements – Sick Leave Act posting, Philadelphia Pregnancy poster, do you have them up? Are there any other posting necessary? What and how do you need to post?
- Federal NLRB and EEOC decisions and their local impacts
- Abercrombie and Fitch – religious discrimination
- What does your handbook and policies say about dress code, or other topics that you may need to reevaluate?
- What else should you be considering?
- Young v. UPS – pregnancy discrimination
- Discussion of Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations Maternity Coalition meeting 10/6/15
- Have you made changes to your disability policies to adapt for pregnancy accommodations?
- What other policy and handbook considerations should you make to be in line with federal, state and local policies and requirements?
- Abercrombie and Fitch – religious discrimination
The panel will welcome additional topics and questions of local and regional concern from the audience.
Register for our Legal Bundle, which includes our federal law webinar on 10/16 for an added registration discount! All options are listed on the registration page.
About the Panelists:
Dena Calo is a seasoned HR strategist and employment lawyer who operates out of the Saul Ewing Philadelphia, PA and Princeton, NJ offices. She counsels management clients on human resource practices and employment law at a time when employers’ labor and employment policies and procedures face increasing scrutiny. As part of her practice, Dena assists clients in preparing and reviewing employee handbooks, and helps them establish and audit their HR practices and procedures. She also conducts on-site investigations and trains organizations on best HR practices and programs.
Prior to joining Saul Ewing, Dena was director of the Human Resources Practice Group at a regional New Jersey law firm.
In addition, Dena has litigated cases to state and federal juries throughout the United States involving Title VII, ERISA, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, and the Fair Labor Standards Act, state and federal constitutional issues, defamation, restrictive covenants and contract disputes.
Dena graduated with a BA from Stockton State College and JD from Widener University School of Law.
Heather Herrington is the Assistant Litigation Department Chair at Jacobs Law Group. Her primary areas of practice are complex commercial litigation, complex civil litigation and labor and employment matters.
Ms. Herrington earned her juris doctor from Temple University School of Law in 2004 and her Bachelor of Science degree, cum laude, in 2000 from Marist College. She is admitted to practice in the state courts of Pennsylvania, as well as the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Following her graduation from Temple, Ms. Herrington served as a judicial clerk with the Honorable Annette M. Rizzo in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas during which she coordinated hundreds of motions in the Civil Motions Program and assisted Judge Rizzo during civil jury trials. Immediately prior to joining the firm, Ms. Herrington was an Associate with Rawle & Henderson, LLP where she assisted in multiple jury trials involving the defense of a wide range of high-exposure, catastrophic injury cases on behalf of doctors, national corporations, as well as local businesses. The types of cases ranged from industrial and construction accidents to commercial motor vehicle accidents as well as defense of medical malpractice cases. Ms. Herrington also has experience at two other Philadelphia area law firms litigating in the areas of toxic tort, employment law and coverage litigation.
Heather has been named a Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star each year since 2010, placing her in the ranks of the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in Pennsylvania 40 years old or younger. Ms. Herrington graduated to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list in 2015.